August 27, 2012

Poem of the Week: Sandinista Avioncitas

SANDINISTA AVIONCITAS
by Lawrence Ferlinghetti


The little airplanes of the heart
with their brave little propellers
What can they do
against the winds of darkness
even as butterflies are beaten back
by hurricanes
yet do not die
They lie in wait wherever
they can hide and hang
their fine wings folded
and when the killer-wind dies
they flutter forth again
into the new-blown light
live as leaves
  


from These Are My Rivers: New & Selected Poems, 1955-1993

[This was posted briefly in the late '90s on NYC subway car cards as part of the Poetry In Motion series. I waited, virtuously, until they started changing over to a new poem and snatched one. I got it signed by Ferlinghetti at City Lights on a trip to SF and now it adorns my wall.]

1 comment:

CardboardCannons said...

I discovered this poem thanks to Poetry in Motion also! I loved it so much our band made a song of it! Hoping Mr. Ferlenghetti would approve! Its just a sketch, really - sung in a moment when what the band was playing fit the rhythm of the poem...and I accidentally stepped on a pedal which made a weird affect on my voice, but in anycase, it was a "happening" right! Anyways, just sending because of the shred subway experience and appreciation for Poetry in Motion!

http://cardboardcannons.bandcamp.com/track/little-airplanes-of-the-heart