August 10, 2008

Mahmoud Darwish, ¡Presente!

bloglines del.icio.us Digg facebook Google Ma.Gnolia Newsvine Technorati socializer StumbleUpon Yahoo

Mahmoud Darwish
13 March, 1942 - 9 August, 2008
Palestinian Freedom Fighter & Poet

I Come From There
Mahmoud Darwish

I come from there and I have memories
Born as mortals are, I have a mother
And a house with many windows,
I have brothers, friends,
And a prison cell with a cold window.
Mine is the wave, snatched by sea-gulls,
I have my own view,
And an extra blade of grass.
Mine is the moon at the far edge of the words,
And the bounty of birds,
And the immortal olive tree.
I walked this land before the swords
Turned its living body into a laden table.

I come from there. I render the sky unto her mother,
When the sky weeps for her mother.
And I weep to make myself known
To a returning cloud.
I learned all the words worthy of the court of blood,
So that I could break the rule.
I learned all the words and broke them up,
To make a single word: Homeland....


[h/t Lars Akerhaug}

No comments: